Biryani is a famous dish of Asia and is specifically liked in India and Pakistan. This Chicken Biryani Recipe is made by combining rice, meat, and spices and is served with salad and raita to add more flavors. Biryani can be made with chicken, mutton, lamb, prawn, beef, or even minced meat according to the choice.
People like to eat it at lunch and dinner. It is the most demanded dish at any event. Biryani is a balanced meal because it contains proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Meat contains proteins and rice contains carbohydrates while the fats are gained by the oil we use.
Biryani can be made in countless ways, and people do it however they like. Vegetarians can also make biryanis with vegetable ingredients in India. In order to make biryani rice, the meat is normally marinated and cooked. Marinating the meat with yogurt and spices helps tenderize it.
As an additional flavoring, we layer boiled rice with mint leaves and lemons over the meat. The dish is also made colorful and tempting by adding a few drops of yellow at the end.
Biryani is believed to be more flavorful when made with basmati rice. To make the rice tender, they soak it in plain water before cooking it. People always ask for biryani recipes in order to get the original flavor of biryani.
Quick Page Guide
Origin of biryani
There is always a debate about the origin of biryani. However, most people agree that it is derived from Persia where people used to make dishes from rustic rice and meat.
The word Biryani originated from the Persian word ‘Birian’ which means ‘Fried before cooking’ and the Persian word Birinj is used for rice. Then this dish was derived to India by Mughals. The various recipes of Biryani were then originated, particularly by Muslim people living in South India.
Biryani is being made with numerous recipes. It has a lot of variations depending upon the place where the dish is being cooked. Chicken biryani is the most favorite type of biryani and an easy chicken biryani recipe is always in demand.
Some recipes have subtle differences while others are unique because of the added ingredients. Here are some famous types of Biryani that are used in specific communities. Every recipe is named on behalf of the place it originated.
Sindhi biryani is famous in Pakistan and is popular for its taste, spices, tender meat, and aromatic rice. Meat, rice, vegetables, and different spices are used to make this recipe.
In Indian State ‘Kerala’, Malabar biryani is the only version of biryani. This dish is popular among the Muslim community and is made by combining ghee and Khyma rice.
One of the most famous types of biryani in India is Hyderabadi biryani. It is made of marinated goat meat that is cooked with rice and garnished with saffron and coconut.
Ambur is a city in Tamil Nadu where biryani is liked by people the most. This city has more biryani vendors than any other town in the world. Rice and meat are cooked individually for this dish and then cooked together with curd and mint leaves.
In this biryani, potatoes and eggs are used with rice. Meat is an optional ingredient in this recipe. It has fewer spices and the rice is flavored with rose water and yellow food color.
Mughlai biryani is made by incorporating chicken, almond paste, curd, dry fruits, green chilies, and ghee. This biryani has a rich flavor and the Indian chicken biryani recipe is used in many countries.
Lucknowi biryani is based on a basic Persian recipe and it uses the Dum Pukht method. Rice and meat are half cooked and then layered and cooked again in a sealed pot.
Other than these famous variations, people make biryani by using a lot of unique recipes such as pulao biryani, BBQ chicken biryani, raw meat biryani, and vegetable biryani. There are numerous chicken dum biryani recipes tried and loved by people.
What to serve with Biryani?
Biryani is considered an essential part of lunch or dinner for any occasion or gathering. A lot of people ask about what are dishes will complement Biryani the most. Though people use to make different dishes with biryani, here are some of the dishes that you can make along with biryani to make your dining table enticing;
- Mains: Chicken korma, Mutton karahi, Egg curry, Nihari, BBQ and Roast are some of the dishes that complement Biryani.
- Bread: You can serve paratha or naan along with other dishes
- Vegetarians: You must add some vegetable dishes for vegetarian people such as Zeera Aalu, Tarka daal, Palak Paneer, Aalu gobhi, or Okra
- Appetizers: Serve chicken cutlets, Spring Rolls, Fish Crackers, Chicken Tempura as appetizers
- Desserts: Falooda, Kheer, Firni, Rus Malai, or Fruit Trifle can be a good choice for desserts after Biryani.
Tips for the smooth cooking process
You can make biryani easily by any Indian or Pakistani Chicken biryani recipe. You can make your cooking process smooth by following some tips while making biryani.
- Soak rice in water for almost half an hour before cooking to make rice juicy and tender.
- Use good quality rice to make your dish flavorful.
- Marinate chicken approximately 2 hours before cooking to make it tender.
- Add the appropriate quantity of salt to make biryani tasteful.
- When you mix the meat and rice, keep it on low flame with lid on to make rice aromatic.
- Cover the lid with a cotton cloth to absorb extra moisture of the rice and avoid soggy rice.
Q: How do you make Biryani taste better?
A: Always use the finest quality rice such as basmati rice to make your dish flavourful and aromatic.
Q: How can I make Biryani moist?
A: If you feel your rice is not moist, you can cover the lid with a wet cloth while keeping your biryani on Dum to give it the perfect moisture.
Q: What spices are used in Biryani?
A: Salt, Red pepper, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and all spices powder are basic spices used in biryani. Cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon, and Star anise are used to add more flavor.
Q: Which oil is best for biryani?
A: you must use good quality oil to cook biryani. Vegetable oil, canola oil, soybean oil, or sunflower oil can be used.
Q: What is the best time limit to soak rice?
A: You can soak rice for at least 20 minutes to up to one hour according to the quality of rice.
Chicken Biryani Recipe Cooking Guide
You have to cook rice and meat separately to follow this easy biryani recipe. For this purpose soak, rice in plain water for at least 20 to 30 minutes before cooking. When you soak rice in water it makes the rice cook easily. Your rice will turn out tender and juicy.
On the other hand, you should marinate the chicken around 1 to 2 hours before to make it cook quickly and turn out tender.
You have to take chicken pieces thoroughly washed and strained. Marinate them with yogurt, ginger garlic paste, green chilies, tomato puree, salt, coriander powder, red chili powder, red chili flakes, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Leave it at room temperature.
Now for cooking take one wok and add water to boil rice. Add some oil and required salt to make rice juicy. You can also add a spoon of vinegar to cooking rice well. When the rice is ¾ cooked, turn off the heat and strain the rice.
On the other side, take another wok and add oil. Heat the oil and add sliced onion. Fry them on medium flame until they turn golden brown. Now add marinated chicken with all the marination.
Cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken tenderize. Take another pot and heat it on medium flame. Add rice at the bottom and layer the cooked rice over it. Add some coriander leaves and garam masala on top.
You can also add sliced lemons, green chilies, and tomatoes according to your taste. Now cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat on low flame.
You can place a cotton cloth on the lid to absorb additional moisture and keep rice delicious. Leave them for 10 to 15 minutes and remove them. Mix well and serve, your scrumptious biryani is ready.
Try this chicken biryani recipe and inspire your loved ones with a scrumptious meal. Serve it with mint raita and fresh salad to enhance the flavor of biryani.
Chicken Biryani Recipe
- 750 Gram Chicken (Cut inmedium pieces)
- 500 Gram Basmati Rice
- 3 Onions (Large)
- 3-4 Tomatoes (Medium)
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 4-5 Green Chillies (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tbsp Salt or as required
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cardamo Powder
- 1 tbsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala Powder
- 3 1/2 Cups of Water
- 1/4 Cup of Oil
- Green Coriander Leaves a handful (Chopped)
- Soak rice half an hour before cooking.
- Make a mixture ofgreen chilies, ginger garlic paste, roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder,salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, yogurt, and tomato puree.
- Take chicken piecesand marinate them in the batter. Keep it aside for 3-4 hours.
- Turn the stove on, pour oil, and addonions. Fry them until they turn golden brown.
- At this point, add the marinatedchicken and cook for ten to 15 minutes or until the meat tenderizes.
- On the other stove, keep a wok andadd rice with water.
- Add some salt and oilto make rice soft.
- Boil rice until they are ¾ done.
- Strain the rice.
- Now in a wok, add chicken mixture andlayer it with rice.
- Add coriander leaves and some garammasala then covers the lid and keep it on low flame for 15 minutes.
- You can cover the lidwith a cloth to absorb the extra moisture and make the rice tasty.
- Your delicious chicken biryani isready.