Aloo Gobi is a vegetable dish that is derived from the subcontinent of India but also famous in Pakistan and Nepal.
It is normally made of cauliflower, potatoes, and spices. It holds a beautiful golden color and is mostly included in Pakistani and Indian cuisine. Turmeric, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes are the main ingredients of the Aloo Gobi recipe along with salt and red chili.
Curry leaves and kalonji are also used to enhance the flavor. This dish is simmered on a slow flame without adding water and you can serve it with bread, mint chutney, or fresh salad.
This vegetable dish is possibly the most basic and famous vegetable dish you can find in India and Pakistan.
This is a unique dish and there is no such recipe in universal foods. Cauliflower is the key ingredient and tastes unique and mouth-watering. Potatoes are also the main ingredient of this dish and enhance its taste.
Tomatoes are added to make the dish juicy and aromatic. As it doesn’t contain any liquid ingredient, it is reliant on tomatoes and spices. You can add some lemon juice at the end to provide it a wonderful flavor.
People usually like to eat it at lunch, yet many people take it in dinner as well. You can serve fresh salads and chutneys to complement the taste.
Quick Page Guide
Origin of Aloo Gobi
Aalu gobhi is derived from the Indian Subcontinent, thus it is famous in Pakistan, Nepal, and India. This originated somewhere in Punjab but it is really common in all the regions of these countries.
It is considered one of the unique and delicious veg recipes of India and Pakistan because this vegetable has a unique and delightful taste. It is one of the favorite dishes for vegetable lovers.
Types of Aalu Gobhi
There are a lot of recipes used for making aloo gobhi. Here are some of the variations you can make while preparing aalu gobhi.
Masala Aaalu Gobhi
Aloo gobhi masala restaurant style is made by boiling the cauliflower florets and potatoes slightly and then cooked in a masala made of onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and spices.
ALOO GOBI 65
This Aalu gobhi 65 is a veg version of chicken 65 which is a popular dish in south Indian cuisine.
This dish is famous and got various versions of vegetables to make the veg plate delicious. Aalu gobhi 65 is made with cauliflower and semi-boiled potatoes mixed with garam masala, yogurt, and other spices.
This marinade is then deep-fried with cornflour and rice flour coating. Heat oil and add mustard seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves to prepare Tarka for the dish.
Aalu gobhi curry
Potato and cauliflower curry Indian recipe is mostly used in the regions of India. It is made by making a curry from onion, tomatoes, green chilies, yogurt, and spices. Half boiled cauliflower and potatoes are then added to the curry and kept on ‘Dum’ until done.
Mashed gobhi with aalu
Some people like to eat mashed cauliflower. They cut the cauliflowers smaller and cook them well with potatoes and other ingredients. In the end, slightly mash the cauliflower and serve hot.
Dried aalu gobhi
This recipe is made by heating oil and adding ginger, garlic paste along with chopped green chilies. Add tomatoes and spices and simmer well. At the end add small florets of cauliflower and cubed potatoes and fry well.
Keep them on slow flame until done. This aloo gobi recipe Pakistani is liked in the regions of Pakistan.
Aloo gobhi recipe gravy
For this recipe, heat oil and fry onion until golden. Add tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, and garlic and fry well. Add spices and then add potatoes and cauliflower florets. Fry well and add some water. Keep it on a slow flame until the vegetable tender. Aalu gobhi gravy is ready.
Aalu gobhi recipe Madhur Jaffrey
Potatoes and cauliflower are deep-fried in this recipe. Now, make masala from tomatoes and other spices and add both. Cook until they become tender.
Hebbars kitchen recipe
Fry aalu and gobhi separately and take out. Add oil in a pan and add cumin and fenugreek seeds. Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic along with all spices. Simmer them and add aalu gobhi. Cook until tender. Aalu gobhi recipe habbers kitchen is very famous among people.
What to serve with Aalu gobhi?
Aalu gobhi is a delicious dish to serve at lunch or dinner. It is will surely be a wonderful addition to the menu for a festive occasion. You can add a lot of dishes along with aalu gobhi to make your meal presentable.
- Mains: Egg Ghotala, Chicken biryani, Kofta palak, Mutton Qorma, and Beef karahi are some of the options to add to your table along with aalu gobhi
- Bread: Naan, bread, and Parathas are added to these dishes
- Vegetarians: Masala bhindi, paneer masala, ghiya tori, and daal mash are good options for vegetarians
- Appetizers: chicken pakora, aalu Tikki, and samosas will compliment aalu gobhi
- Desserts: serve traditional desserts with aalu gobhi such as firni, gajrela, rabri and gulab jamun
Tips for cooking Aalu Gobhi
If you want to make an aalu gobhi recipe, Punjabi people like it the most, you must consider some tips to make your cooking process better. Here are some tips for wonderfully making aalu gobhi.
- Always take fresh cauliflower for cooking. If your cauliflower has brown spots on it, it will not give you the perfect flavor.
- Always cut the cauliflower in florets as it will provide the real and unique look of the dish
- Cut potatoes in medium-sized cubes to look perfect with cauliflower florets
- It is not necessary to boil cauliflower for every recipe
- Always cook gobhi on slow to medium heat to cook it well without being mashed up
- Add ingredients in an adequate quantity to provide it a perfect spicy flavor
- Adding methi will enhance the flavor, so you can a handful of methi leaves before keeping the dish on Dum.
Q: How many calories aalu gobhi contains?
A: One serving of aalu gobhi includes approximately 208 calories. It means it provides around 10% of the total calorie essential for an adult in a day.
Q: Can we freeze aalu gobhi?
A: Aalu gobhi can be kept refrigerated for 3 to 4 days in an airtight box. If you freeze aalu gobhi, the potatoes will become mushy and will lose all the flavor.
Q: How long should we boil cauliflower?
A: Add water to a wok and bring it to a boil. Add cauliflower and let it boil on high heat. Reduce the heat and cover it until fork tender. Drain it and cut it into small florets.
Q: What do cauliflower florets look like?
A: A fresh cauliflower holds tight florets of pale white color. If there are tiny yellow or brown spots, you can trim them. However, if the cauliflower has excessive brown spots in it, it means it is not fresh and will not provide the real flavor.
Q: What does aalu gobhi mean?
A: It is a veg dish from the Indian subcontinent made of cauliflower, potatoes, and other spices. It is famous in Pakistan and India.
How to cook Aloo Gobi?
This recipe is really easy to make but you have to be very careful to avoid making your dish meshy. Take a pan and heat oil. Add nigella and cumin seeds in hot oil and cook until they pop. Now, add diced potatoes and sauté until golden.
Take them out in a bowl and repeat the process with cauliflower. Take out the cauliflower on a separate plate. Turn the heat on medium flame. You can add some more oil if you need it.
Add chopped onions to the pan and fry until golden. Make sure the onions don’t turn brown as it will spoil the taste. Next, add ginger-garlic paste and cook for a few minutes.
Then add tomatoes, turmeric, and chili powder, and cook until the oil pops out on the sides.
Now, add salt and potatoes in the pan along with green chilies. Simmer them and turn the heat on a slow flame. Cover the lid and cook potatoes for 5 minutes.
Add cauliflower florets and a little water. Cover the pan and cook until they become soft. You must check after every 3 to 5 minutes to make sure it doesn’t stick. If you feel a bit stickiness, you can add some more water.
Take off the heat and add fenugreek and garam masala. Cover the lid and leave for 10 minutes to absorb the aroma.
Add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves before serving. Delicious aalu gobhi is ready. Serve it with a variety of chutneys to enhance its flavor.
Try this mouth-watering aloo gobi recipe today and satisfy your taste buds with its unique and amazing flavor.
Aloo Gobi Recipe
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 350 gm Potatoes cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 1 Medium Cauliflowercut into small florets
- 1 Chopped Yellow Onion
- 5 Fresh Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 Crushed Garlic
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cummin Seeds
- 2 tsp Roasted Corriander Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Nigella Seeds
- 1 tsp All Spices Powder
- 1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- A bunch of chopped fresh Coriander
Aloo Gobi Recipe step by step
- Heat oil in a wok
- Add nigella and cuminseeds
- Cook until they pop
- Add potatoes and sauté until golden
- Take out the potatoes
- Add cauliflowerflorets and fry them until golden
- Take them out in a separate bowl
- Turn the heat on lowto medium flame
- Add onion and cookuntil soft
- Add ginger, garlic,and sauté for 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes,chilies, coriander, and turmeric
- Cook and stir untilthe oil pops out from the sides
- Add potatoes, salt,and green chilies
- Simmer them and turn the heat down
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Add cauliflower witha splash of water
- Keep the heat slow
- Cover the lid andcook until tender
- Check every 2-3 minutes to avoidsticking at the base
- You can add a little water if required
- Turn the heat off
- Add garam masala andmethi leaves
- Cover for 10 minutes
- Add lemon juice andcoriander leaves before serving
- Your scrumptious aaloo gobhi is ready